Insurance Claim? BIG Insurance Is Here To Help
When you are out shopping or heading to the store the last thing you would expect is an accident. Whether you are the offending driver, victim, or a witness to a parking lot accident, there are some steps you can take to be proactive and responsible:
As the Victim:
- Contact your Billyard Insurance broker. Let the insurance broker know what happened as soon as possible. Your insurance broker will help you determine your next steps and guide you through the process. Billyard Insurance Group can also provide you tools to help make it quick and efficient for you!
- Take pictures. Take pictures of the damage with your phone or a camera.
- Document everything! For insurance reasons, If the other driver is around, write down his or her name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance company. You should get as much information as possible.
- Get as much proof as possible. Ask others in the parking lot if they witnessed anything. You can also head back to the store/building and find out if they have any security footage you can check out.
As the offending driver:
- Take responsibility for your actions. Do not just drive off- If another driver or surveillance camera caught you in the act, you could be charged with a hit-and-run.
- Call the police. When it comes to extensive damage, you may want to involve the police. They will document the accident and can help you locate the car’s owner.
- Locate the other party involved. Go inside the store, or to the customer service desk and try and locate the other car owner. Describe the car to the employee and ask the individual to announce it over the intercom.
- Leave a note. If you are unable to find the other driver, write down your basic information such as your name, phone number, and a brief explanation of the accident. Place the note in a secure spot on the car and remember to write down the license plate number and take a photo of the damage.
As the witness:
- Offer to help. If the offending driver is gone, offer to help the other driver document the damage.
- Provide your information. If his or her insurance broker or a police officer needs any additional information, providing your information can help the situation if they need to get further details.
The Billyard Insurance Group works with you to provide you with the information that is needed to protect you in the event of this happening. You can also contact your broker and discuss the details on what to do. Report all the information by taking notes and keeping the accurate information of the other parties involved. To help you record the information you need, Billyard Insurance Group has designed a detailed accident report card for you to print and keep in your glovebox. Click the accident report card below!