Back To Top
Page Illustration


Insurance for Photographers

Monday, 7 October 2019

Starting your own business can be difficult, expensive and very demanding. At Billyard Insurance Group, we understand how stressful it can be to ensure you are protecting your business. An important factor to consider when starting photography professionally is Commercial insurance. It can be confusing to know what kind of coverage you need for each area of your business. Luckily, we can help figure out insurance that is unique to your business. There are a few main areas of coverage for a typical photography business, and we’re here to help break it down for you.

If you're ready to purchase insurance for your photography business, you can quote and buy online with just a few clicks! Click the link below to get a quote:

Start Your Quote

Equipment Insurance for Photographers

How will your equipment be protected if it gets damaged? If you operate your photography business out of a studio and don’t take any equipment off-site, then you will need to cover your equipment “on-premises” only.  However, most photographers want and need the ability to use their equipment “off-site” which requires a separate coverage.  Specialized photography equipment can be expensive, so make sure you keep proper records of all items, including:  make, model, serial number, and purchase price.  Your equipment is essential to your business, and by making sure your equipment is properly covered will give you peace of mind if something happens to it.  By covering your equipment properly, you can focus your energy on what you do best; taking pictures! 

Protecting your photography equipment is a great way to reduce your premium and it is important to let your insurance company know this information to help identify any additional discounts you may qualify for.  Some ways to protect your equipment at a studio can include: installing motion alarms, security cameras, and having an additional lock up room for equipment when not in use.  While shooting off-location, making sure equipment is always within sight, and locking any equipment not in use in a vehicle should be common practice. 

Drone Insurance for Photographers

Drones have become a popular way of taking aerial photography without the having to bare the cost of taking pictures from a plane or helicopter.  If you use a Drone as part of your photography business, you will need specialized coverage.

Equipment Coverage for the drone can be purchased, and its important to know the year, make, model, and list of accessories for each drone.  Drones and the accessories can be costly to purchase, and you want to make sure you have the proper coverage in place in case anything happens.

Liability Coverage for the operation of your Drone is critical if you’re using one as part of your photography business.  If your Drone causes property damage or bodily injury to someone during use, and they sue you or the business, Drone Liability coverage is there to protect you. 

Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance for Photographers

Photography insurance depends on a variety of factors, so it is important to figure out exactly what type of coverage you need. If you plan on doing photography as a hobby with no income being generated, Commercial General Liability insurance may not be required. However, if you are working with clients and generating revenue from your photography services, Commercial General Liability insurance will protect you, and your business. If there is a lawsuit that arises due to any property damage or bodily harm that comes from you or your employees while shooting, Commercial General Liability insurance will protect your business, as well the associated legal fees. If you are an amateur photographer, you might be covered by your home owner’s insurance, however this usually only covers theft or natural disasters and not accidents. 

We can’t stress enough how important it is to be candid with your insurance broker about type of photography you’re doing as part of your business. Every photography business is different; therefore, coverage is not going to be the same across the board. If you have people working with you, you may need Employers Liability coverage to cover workplace injury to your employees. In the event of a lawsuit, your Commercial insurance should cover your whole business, including employees and clients, not just yourself. There is a broad range of insurance and protection available, whether you are just a hobbyist with a camera, or a professional with a full studio, so be sure to know exactly what your coverage offers.

Errors & Omissions (E&O) Insurance for Photographers

To protect your reputation, errors and omissions insurance is a great idea. This insurance can help protect you in lawsuits that arise from a contract breach or making errors when servicing your clients. If you provide what the client believes to be incomplete work or work below standard, the claim can involve financial damages. Your client may feel like they experienced a financial loss and try to file a lawsuit to recover their expenses. Fortunately, your insurance policy can cover any legal fees that come out of this type of lawsuit.

Travel Insurance for Photographers

If you are working abroad, travel insurance is an important purchase. Whether you travel often, or rarely, there are great options to protect you and your business worldwide.                      

Insurance in any form can have a lot of variables and it is difficult to figure out your specific coverage by yourself, but you are not alone! Talking with an experienced broker can make all the difference and take some of the stress out of running your own business. Let us know how we can help you get the right coverage for your photography business without overpaying for insurance you don’t need. We are here to help you every step of the way.

Start Your Quote

By: Serenity Roberts